bkgd





Sunday, January 2, 2011

Off the bottle

Ok, somedays I feel like a bad mom because my nearly 18 month old son was still drinking from a bottle at night.  But there was just something so sweet about it that it was hard for me to give up.  This week I decided that I think we are both ready.  The last time I tried it was some time ago and it didn't go well.  I didn't want to push it so I went back to the bottle.

This time is different.  We have not used a bottle in nearly a week, although he has been clinging to the sippy cup now when I give it to him.  I think I may even try to pack the bottles\
up and get them out of sight now.  I'm worried that he won't drink as much milk as he was before, but I know there are other ways he can get what he needs.

Now...the pacifier is another story.  It really is a great comfort to him.  He will go back to sleep easier in the night if he can find his pacifier in the crib.  Yay glow in the dark pacifiers!  The doctor mentioned the other week that we need to start taking him off the sippy cup and onto cups with handles and to make the pacifiers disappear once he was healthy.  UGH to both!  I would have no trouble switching cups if he wasn't such a wild boy that likes to drop his cup and carry it around with him .  I want him to have access to water at all times, and he is great about putting his cup on tables, he just isn't the gentlest.

As far as the pacifier goes, I will be trying to slowly wean him off that.  My original goal was to have him off by the time he turned 2.  And with him still working on those last two molars which seem to be taking forever to come in, I don't think it is a good time to take it away.  So I will try to slowly wean him off of it to the point where he just gets it at night(which doesn't last long usually anyway since it usually falls out of his mouth after he is asleep).

So that is the plan...and I think this is the first time I am disagreeing with what his doctor has advised.  But she is not the one here all the time to see how he is feeling and what he needs.  So I will go with my gut and hope for the best.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: