bkgd





Monday, September 20, 2010

Illness

Right now my baby is in his crib sleeping.  Probably temporarily.  He has had a persistent high fever for several days.  We went to the after hours clinic this weekend and will go to his pediatrician tomorrow.  I'm hoping that it's like your car acting up, that by the time we get there he will be all better and his temp will be back to where it should be.
But right now I am just waiting.  I have the guest bed ready with the thermometer and medicine nearby, water to keep him drinking fluids and my pillows(not that I will get any sleep).  Even if he is sleeping I will be constantly checking on him and trying to get a read on his temperature.  Thankfully, not that long ago we decided to buy one of the forehead thermometer and boy am I glad we did.  Once we got it I doubted that we could take his temp. while sleeping like the information said, but the other night I did exactly that.  It beeps, but it never woke him up.  I couldn't read the display in the dark and kept my cell phone close by for some extra light.  I highly recommend one.

At this point I'm hoping he stays asleep for another 45 minutes until it is time for more Tylenol.  I really can't stand the thought of him sleeping alone when he is like this, so I don't think I will even bother laying down myself until it is time to get him and get his next dose of medicine.  I used to think it was best not to wake a baby to take medicine, but not now...Since we don't know what is causing the fever now, I want to watch him non-stop. 

Does this part get any easier? All I know is that I love him so much, even when he is sick, I can hold him and cry from the joy that he is in my life.  And I don't want that to ever change.

No comments: