bkgd





Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Partner

Some times I feel like I am lying to people when during the course of the conversation they refer to Daren as my husband.  While we live together, own a home together, and most importantly have a child together, we aren't married.  So what am I supposed to do?  Stop and correct them or just let it go and let them assume what they want?  I think I have had one person in the past stutter after calling Daren my husband because they knew we weren't married.  I think they must have been worried about my reaction.  But it doesn't bother me at all.

I just let it go, since we are practically married...but  I do know what kind of ring I want...ahem...I'm just saying....  I do struggle with what to call him.  I have heard a celebrity or two refer to their long term boyfriend as their "spousal equivalent".  I like that, but it takes too long to say.  I don't much care for "significant other" for about the same reason.  Boyfriend just doesn't cut it and makes me feel like I am in high school.  So on occasion both Daren and myself have referred to each other, when talking to other people, as our "partner". 

Now, the term "partner" seems to have a few different meanings to people, but I do like it for a couple reasons.  I really do feel like he is my partner in life.  I believe in equal parenting and although we have fluctuations where we feel like we are taking on more than the other one, I think we do a damn good job.  Daren drops Max off at daycare and I pick him up.  We take turns as to who will get up with the baby in the night.  This takes some pressure off and we then feel like we can at least look forward to not having to get up if the baby wakes up, which does happen alot.  Tonight is my night, so I will be finishing this quickly so I can go to bed, just in case.  And while I feed Max, Daren is usually fixing something for us to eat (Max goes to bed early so timing everything is a little odd right now).

I feel like we do pretty well handling money situations and dealing with major issues and purchases.  We just  enjoy each others company and spend most of our free time together.  We even go to the grocery store together.  Ok we aren't perfect and I think he can tell when my hormones kick in, but I am a very lucky lady. 

So if I am having a conversation with you and just refer to Daren as....Daren, don't be surprised.  And don't worry about my reaction if you call him anything else...my parents even refer to him as my husband sometimes.  Whether or not we get married, and eventually I think we will, he will always be my partner.

No comments: