bkgd





Friday, September 24, 2010

Sleep interrupted

Well, it wasn't the restful nights sleep I was hoping for, but it was better than Daren's night, since it was his night to take care of Max.  He had to sleep in the guest bed with him early on, after he woke up an hour after going to bed with horrible gas pain.  He was screaming and crying out "Momma".  Daren and I both tried walking with him, tried doing the bicycle legs, gave him gas drops, I tried a small warm heating pad on his tummy, but nothing worked and we just had to wait until there was some movement and the pain passed. 

I woke up around 11:30 to hear the screaming again and I went to check on him and Daren.  Daren started walking with him again.  I knew there wasn't a whole lot I could do this time, so I thought I better try to get a little rest and told Daren to come get me for a break or if he wanted to split up the night.  It's not easy walking around holding him for long, especially when he is in pain and trying to push away from you at the same time.

I sent his gas drops to daycare with him today to give him regularly to see if we can get this to pass easier for him.  He was still passing quite a bit when I was getting him dressed this morning.  I just can't imagine what he thought as he had this pain that we couldn't take away.  I remember one time I had gas pain so bad I was lying in bed in tears thinking I was going to have to go to the hospital, until I felt some movement and realized what it was.  Understanding what it was comforted me, knowing that it would eventually go away.  But how do you explain that to a child, that while he understands many things we say, couldn't begin to understand this yet.

Yesterday when I called to check on him in daycare they said he was a little cranky and thought he might be teething.  Well he definitely isn't teething!  Poor kid.  I hope this isn't something he will have to continue battling for a long time.  Does anyone have any experience with gas in toddlers? 

No comments: