bkgd





Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Here's to good health!

I recently got good news from my Dr.  I am pretty happy and am now on a new mission to improve and maintain my health.  I promise to take my vitamins, eat better and continue trying to get more exercise.

It all started a couple weeks ago when Max was sick...once again...and we found out a few days later that he had Hand Foot and Mouth Disease again. The next day I had a fever and Daren wasn't feeling well and looked to be getting a cold.  I just felt a little bad. That was Wed.  On Saturday we went to a birthday dinner and that is when the headache really started.  I went home and took some Advil but it didn't help. I woke up the next morning with a really bad headache.  I was down most of the day and was grateful when my parents offered to watch Max for a while.

Sunday night I barely slept, I was in a lot of pain and the nearly unbearable nausea lasted most of the night.  By the morning I knew I had to go to the hospital.  At this point I could barely think straight and I was super light sensitive and only wanted to keep my eyes closed.  All I knew was that I needed relief and I needed it now.

Mom got me to the hospital and they gave me a shot for the pain.  I thought it would work quicker, but it took about an hour to give me some relief.  They asked me alot of questions about my pain, which I described as my helmet of pain since it hurt from under my eyes, all the way back and down my neck.  Plus it hurt to move my eyes.  If I tried to look to the side I felt pulling and pain behind my eyes.  They decided to do a CT scan to see if I was having a bleed in my brain.  Then they said that to be sure, they needed to do a spinal tap.  I asked to think about it for a few minutes.  I was scared of having it done, but since this was the worst headache I have ever had, I thought it would be best just to rule it out.

So they did the spinal tap and it was uncomfortable, but I made it through.  Just after, Daren showed up as well as my Stepdad.  It took a little while for the tests to start coming back and I just had to lay still.  They said the spinal column had to replace the fluid they had taken so I had to lay still and flat for a few hours.  My blood pressure had dropped a little and they wanted to give me fluids and started an IV.  One of the 4 attempts made was in the wrist and to be honest was more painful than the spinal tap!  I'm not sure how long it took, but I was feeling better and was sure that they were going to release me when the Dr. came in and asked me who my primary care Dr. was again and said he would call her and be right back.  I didn't know what to think but knew that wasn't a good sign.  My mom tried to eavesdrop and said, I think you are going to be admitted.  Since they had told me they were checking for a bleed, that is what I thought I had.

The Dr. came back in and said, "We're going to admit you to the hospital, you have Meningitis".  I don't think he said much after that and I went a little blank.  I thought I was going to die.  I knew someone who had died from Meningitis and knew it worked fast.  I was just...blank.  I asked Daren to go call my boss to let her know I would be out the next day and to call Max's pediatrician to see if he needed to take Max to the Dr.  I was praying they would not have to do a spinal tap on him.

I was still a little blank until Daren came back and told me that the Dr. said that if I had the viral kind then I could still hold Max, but she didn't want me sleeping in the same bed with him for a few days.  Well that snapped me out of my shock quickly and I started tearing up.  The thought that I could not hold my son really upset me.  In case I had the bacterial kind of Meningitis, which can kill you in 24 hours, they started loading me up on antibiotics.  I'm not sure how long after that another Dr came in and started asking a lot of questions to see if they could tell from that if I had viral or bacterial Meningitis.  I think by this time they thought it was viral and were waiting for the tests to come back to confirm that. 

They told me that they were going to be running a lot of tests and not to be surprised.  That if it is viral, I could have gotten it because of some underlying issue.  They wanted to test me for a ton of stuff, from Lupus and MS, to West Nile.  When the Neurologist came in to look at me the next night, he said he wanted to get me out of there, that there were worse things I could get while in the hospital and to follow up with my Dr. in 7-10 days.

So I was a little anxious and waited until Monday, called the Dr's office and asked about the test results.  They said they would call me back, but didn't until Tues morning.  The nurse said she didn't feel comfortable interpreting the results and could get me in late in the day with the Dr.  That made me nervous too...I mean why couldn't they give me good results over the phone, unless it wasn't good.  Thankfully the Dr. just wanted to check me out and said that all of my tests were negative, except one.  The test for Rheumatoid Arthritis showed one little point outside the normal range, nothing to worry about though.  Woo Hoo...no major issues.

So now the mission begins...

No comments: